Re: questions on development(7)

From: OutbackDingo <outbackdingo_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 09 Nov 2007 23:12:39 +0800
On Fri, 2007-11-09 at 14:43 +0000, Tom Evans wrote:
> On Fri, 2007-11-09 at 21:49 +0800, OutbackDingo wrote:
> > well thats kinda hard to do with CVS, though other revision systems such
> > as mercurial, bazaar, git and perforce, even subversion do it well,
> > there is also a mercurial respository for FreeBSD out there some where

> > > What I meant was how do I keep from clobbering my local changes?
> > >

> (Nothing like top posting to destroy the thread flow)
>
> OutbackDingo is incorrect. That is the entire purpose of CVS, otherwise
> they might as well call it VS..
>
> Your /usr/src will be a checkout of a particular branch of freebsd
> (called a working copy). You periodically update your cvs repository
> (where you checkout from) with the latest freebsd commits.
> When you wish to, you update your working copy from your repository by
> issuing a 'cvs up'. This merges changes in the repository into your
> local copy, merging in with the local changes.
> When you want to see what has changed since you last did a 'cvs up',
> issue a 'cvs -n up'.
> When you want to see the local modifications in your working copy, issue
> a 'cvs diff'.
>
> Read the cvs red-bean book for more info.
> http://cvsbook.red-bean.com/cvsbook.html
>
> HTH
>
> Tom

Well I wouldnt say incorrect as i stated it was hard to do. Meaning its
easier to complete these tasks with a different RCS, in my OWN opinion.
So as not to clobber ones changes locally. I didnt say it could not be
done, its simply more difficult to achieve the same result as with other
RCS systems. The reason I sated as more difficult to do, Ive seen quite
a number of times when tracking a vendor branch, that merges had to be
more manually handled because of local changes. This is another of those
"preferences" people get into wars over, Best OS, Browser, RCS etc etc
etc...