Re: 7.0BETA2: Can't use with Parallels virtual CD-ROM drive

From: 韓家標 Bill Hacker <askbill_at_conducive.net>
Date: Fri, 09 Nov 2007 17:09:12 -0500
Robert Watson wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> I downloaded and attempted to install the 7.0-BETA2 ISO on a Parallels
> VM yesterday, and fairly rapidly ran into problems.  I configured the
> ISO to appear as a CD-ROM drive in the VM, and booted: it happily got to
> sysinstall, but when I began the install, sysinstall was unable to mount
> the install CD. Booting to an existing 7-CURRENT VM, I found that it
> also was unable to mount the CD, but that I could install from a
> 6.3-BETA1 ISO without a problem. Testing from the command line, "mount
> -t cd9660" on 7.0 returns:
>
> mount: /dev/ac0 : Input/output error
>
> The same command on 6.3 successfully mounts the image.  On the general
> theory of things, I tested mounting the 6 ISO on 7 (failed) and the 7
> ISO on 6 (succeeded).  In both 6 and 7, the virtual CD-ROM drive appears
> to probe fine:
>
> acd0: DVDROM <PRL CD-ROM [1]/FWR10003> at ata0-slave PIO4
>
> In both cases, the drive continues to show up fine in atacontrol:
>
>     Slave:  acd0 <PRL CD-ROM [1]/FWR10003> ATA/ATAPI revision 4
>
> I tried reconfiguring Parallels to move the ISO to the second virtual
> ATA controller and that didn't make a difference either.  I was
> wondering if anyone else had seen this?  It sounds like it may be a
> change in the ATA driver?
>
> Robert N M Watson
> Computer Laboratory
> University of Cambridge

Robert,

There may be a change, but - espacially since your dmesg shows a PATA device - I
don't think the ATA driver is it.

6.2 7-CURRENT (SEP snapshot iso) thru 7-BETA1, plus 8-CURRENT in i386 and AMD64
are happy with real or virtual CD's here legacy IDE PATA, *with QEMU*.

And that on two MB with reportedly problematic BIOS / chipset IDE/SATA settings
(Asus P5K, Gigabyte GA G33-DS3R).

Ergo, I'd suspect Parallels is unhappy with something in between itself and the
'real' controller/hardware.

You might do a quick install of Qemu - even if it is not on your long-range plan
- just to see if the problem persists.

HTH

Bill