Re: a better lesskey helper

From: Kevin Oberman <oberman_at_es.net>
Date: Fri, 09 Nov 2007 15:21:36 -0800
> Date: Fri, 9 Nov 2007 17:45:31 -0500
> From: Bill Vermillion <bv_at_wjv.com>
> Sender: owner-freebsd-current_at_freebsd.org
>
> The time has come the freebsd-current-request_at_freebsd.org said, to
> talk of many things but all that was heard on Fri, Nov 09, 2007 at
> 22:24 was whether pigs have wings - or:
>
> > Date: Fri, 09 Nov 2007 15:34:08 -0500
> > From: Chuck Robey <chuckr_at_chuckr.org>
> > Subject: Re: a  better  lesskey  helper
>
> > Dag-Erling Sm??rgrav wrote:
>
> > > zless will do that for you.
>
> > > DES
>
> > Now I'm getting a bit confused. I know you from long before, and
> > I know you wouldn't make mistakes easily. MY zless here doesn't
> > decode executables and libs, but there's no man page, and zless
> > --help gives only the standard less help info, so I don;'t know
> > what zless does that less didn't do before I changed out the
> > lesspipe.sh on my local system.
>
> > I really wouldn't want to bother folks anymore on this if I'm
> > all wet? Does your less not decode tar.gz things? What does your
> > zless do that your less doesn't? Does either your zless or your
> > less decode executables and libraries (via a objdump pipe)?
>
> > I gotta admit, I'd never heard of zless.
>
> I've found that 'most' is quite handy.  It decodes binaries when it
> finds thems, it decompresses gzipped files.
>
> It's in /usr/ports/sysutils/most

It also decompresses bz2s, allows moving to a specific line by number or
to a percentage of the file, auto-sizes to the window size (on the fly),
can split the display and show multiple files or multiple parts of one
file, delete files, search either case sensitive or insensitive, and a
lot more. I've been using it as my pager for about 20 years.

most(1) is more than less(1).
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)