Reproducible problems with re(4) on RELENG_7 and HEAD

From: Daniel Gerzo <danger_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Sun, 11 Nov 2007 19:07:06 +0100
Hello people,

  I would like to report problems which are most probably related to
  the re(4) driver. The problem is reproducible after some time (i.e.
  after some amount of data has been sent/received) and disappears
  again after reboot. You can try to reproduce it by extracting a big
  tar archive contianing a thousands of small files with verbose
  output (e.g. tar -v) over ssh session. It will reset your connection
  after some time with something like:

  Disconnecting: Bad packet length 4070316545.

  After it's been provoked for the first time, it is even more easier
  to provoke it again, simply by ssh-ing to the box and running "yes".
  The problem will occur in a few seconds, and you will be
  disconnected with the error mentioned above, or sometimes with the
  following error:

  Disconnecting: Corrupted MAC on input.

  Ok, these were the symptones, now the device in the question:

  I suppose that it is an integrated card (the machine is in
  collocation and I've never seen it by myself). This is the
  respective line from dmesg:

re0: <RealTek 8168/8111B PCIe Gigabit Ethernet> port 0xd800-0xd8ff mem 0xfdfff000-0xfdffffff irq 19 at device 0.0 on pci2

  pciconf -lv output:

re0_at_pci0:2:0:0: class=0x020000 card=0x368c1462 chip=0x816810ec rev=0x01 hdr=0x00
    vendor     = 'Realtek Semiconductor'
    device     = 'RTL8168/8111 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet NIC'
    class      = network
    subclass   = ethernet

  I would swear that this isn't a bad hardware, as the machine is
  brand new, and we have 4 of these boxes, all of them are having the
  same symptons. I also have a friend, who is experiencing the same
  problem for quite some time on HEAD (I am running on recent
  RELENG_7).

  I will very willingly provide any additional data, which might be
  required, I can also manage a remote ssh access to the machine so it
  can be debugged.

  The problem is, that the system itself doesn't hang, there is no
  panic and no additional information in /var/log/messages. If there
  is any way how can I debug this, please let me know and I will do so
  ASAP (as we are migrating our servers to this hardware). Also, I
  wasn't able to reproduce it by transferring a 10gb file over ftp,
  but when the problem starts to occur, it's not limited to only ssh
  connecion. I mean, even mysql connections are being reset.

  Any help will be greatly appreciated! Also, if you are able to
  confirm this problem with re(4) etherent card, please let us know!

--
Best regards,
 Daniel                          mailto:danger_at_FreeBSD.org