Re: RELENG_7: swap_pager_getswapspace(3): failed

From: Beech Rintoul <beech_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2007 01:10:54 -0900
On Monday 12 November 2007, Kris Kennaway said:
> Beech Rintoul wrote:

> >> I hope so. It is weird though that I run exactly the same number
> >> of applications every day; and I ran the same binary apps on an
> >> earlier version of RELENG_7 (I updated system but not apps), but
> >> I never ran out of swap space; in particular I have never used
> >> more than .5 GB swap. This time, the system was using 1 GB swap.
> >> So I suppose I should start hunting the guilty app.
> >
> > I'm seeing the exact same thing. I'm running -current from
> > yesterday and this box is lightly loaded. I can't track it down
> > to a specific process, but all of a sudden normal compiles are
> > running me out of vm. This box has 500Mb ram and a gig of swap
> > and has never run out of memory before. None of my applications
> > have changed. I'm also starting to see it on a client's box I
> > recently updated to 7.0, That box has 1Gb ram and 2Gb swap and is
> > just a desktop and mailserver. I don't think this is application
> > related.
>
> Then you have further investigation to do to prove that theory :)
>
> Kris

I'd be happy to. All the processes on both boxes look normal. I
suspected either kde or xorg, but everything looks ok. Point me in
the right direction and I'll troubleshoot all I can. I do know we
have a problem, if it's not related to vm_page.c, then we have a very
evil application that is common to all.

Beech

Beech Rintoul - FreeBSD Developer - beech_at_FreeBSD.org
/"\   ASCII Ribbon Campaign  | FreeBSD Since 4.x
\ / - NO HTML/RTF in e-mail   | http://www.freebsd.org
 X  - NO Word docs in e-mail | Latest Release:
/ \  - http://www.FreeBSD.org/releases/6.2R/announce.html