java_vm under RELENG_7

From: David Benfell <benfell_at_parts-unknown.org>
Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2007 06:19:42 -0800
Hello all,

So, after a lot of work, I've got things back to more or less where they
were before the upgrade to 7.0.  And it is all looking beautiful (nice
job, guys), except for one thing.

And I don't know what to blame here.

I'm noticing that java_vm is occasionally eating my machine.  By this I
mean I'm getting extremely slow response--so slow I think the system
might be down, but it responds to pings, and, eventually to everything
else, including keystrokes--and top reports java_vm at the top of the
list occupying several thousand (I'm not exaggerating) percent CPU.

'kill -9 [java_vm pid]' is effective and gives me my system back.

I did not see this prior to the upgrade.  This, of course, is a long
ways short of saying the upgraded system is somehow more vulnerable to
this.  The site I'm visiting with Firefox might be using some nasty
java and, not being part of that administration team, I don't know if
they've made a change.  The site itself, Blackboard at the university,
has certainly proven itself buggy as hell in the past.

My question is, how do I know?  I'm thinking that even a failure to
replicate the issue under another operating system doesn't acquit java.
And I don't have an old 6.2(?) system lying around with which to test
this.

--
David Benfell, LCP
benfell_at_parts-unknown.org