Re: I/OAT ... Coming Soon ?

From: Jack Vogel <jfvogel_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2007 00:58:44 -0800
On Nov 14, 2007 5:52 PM, Julian Elischer <julian_at_elischer.org> wrote:

> Jack Vogel wrote:
> > On Nov 14, 2007 5:01 PM, Wilkinson, Alex
> > <Alex.Wilkinson_at_dsto.defence.gov.au> wrote:
> >> Hi all,
> >>
> >> Curious, is I/OAT [http://www.intel.com/go/ioat/] coming to FreeBSD soon
> >> ?
> >
> > LOL, I did a driver for the first version of I/OAT more than a year
> > ago, submitted
> > it and interest was half hearted.
> >
> > The driver needs updating and polishing yet, but interest being what it was
> > it hasn't been a real high priority.
> >

> I saw what I thought you called a "preliminary" driver.
> There was discussion and I thought you got positive but
> muted (along the lines of "nice.. when will there be hardware for it?")
> and some discussion of how it fits in with TCP offload, but I don't think
> that anyone said they didn't like the idea..
>
> hmm didn't someone else have an implementation? or am I getting
> my wires crossed on that?

You are probably right, its been quite a while, and there were
other factors that have effected my perception.

The driver just for the engine didn't require the stack portion
that Prafulla did, although we need something using the thing :)

Not sure what other implementation you are thinking of. Linux has it
of course.

I'd be glad to resurrect the code and get on with it in any case.

Jack