Re: Will 7-beta amd64 run on the old xeon?

From: 韓家標 Bill Hacker <askbill_at_conducive.net>
Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2007 17:28:40 +0000
Artem Kuchin wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I have a dual CPU box with two xeon cpus.
> Those are XEON 2.66Ghz 512KB L2 cache,
> 533Mhz bus. sSpec Number: SL6GF
> CPUID String: 0F27h
>
> more info on:
> http://processorfinder.intel.com/details.aspx?sspec=sl6gf
>
> Will amd64 architecture run on it? I could not find
> any data on EM64T support on it, so i don't think
> it is there.
>
> --
> Artem

I'm pretty certain it will NOT.

Worse - that's 130 nm wafer tech - pretty hot-running chunk of sand there.

Worse yet - ISTR those went into sockets/VR's that will NOT accept today's
Core-2 and their Xeon cousins, so a server/MB of that genre is not a good
investment if you have concerns - as we do - as to staying within the UPS budget
of the rack lease.

In any case, current Intel OR AMD cache, bus & ram speeds let a cheaper Core-2
on commodity MB eat that particular Xeon's entire daily meal ration.

;-)

Bill