Re: 7.0-BETA2 routed and multicast registration

From: Robert Watson <rwatson_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Sat, 17 Nov 2007 16:53:48 +0000 (GMT)
On Sat, 17 Nov 2007, Bruce M Simpson wrote:

> I take more time out of the weekend to shout about legacy kludge...
>
> We can put a nice big comment in that says "this is an old crusty hack, it
> is NOT SUPPORTED for new code", but it's better not to have kludges there in
> the first place.
>
> We can bring it back in the 7-current train to keep folk happy for now,
> sure, but I strongly suggest we get rid of it in future, otherwise, we risk
> not taking the step of progress -- EBIKESHED.

Speaking of deprecated -- are the interfaces marked as deprecated in the 6.x
man pages?  If not, there's a reasonabl argument to be made that they weren't
deprecated, only eliminated. :-)  At this point, in the interest of shipping
working apps, it's sounding like we may need to re-add the interfaces to 7.x
with clear deprecation markings.  I'm not sure I'd go for Julian's suggestion
of a sysctl, which simply makes things that should be easy harder for our
users, as opposed to third party developers.

Robert N M Watson
Computer Laboratory
University of Cambridge