Panic on camera connection in umass on 7-BETA2

From: Kevin Oberman <oberman_at_es.net>
Date: Sat, 17 Nov 2007 13:08:30 -0800
I recently tried to download images from my Olympus camera and the
kernel paniced. I tried again using the HPS USB stack and got no crash,
but no connection, either.

With the HPS stack, the camera (which is not powered by the USB
connection) turns on, is identified by the driver, and the camera then
turns off. Neither WITNESS nor INVARIANTS provided any information.

With the standard stack, the system recognizes the camera and then
crashes. I'm running 7-BETA2 from last week on a T42 ThinkPad (2GHz P-M).

This camera has been previously used with V7/current with no problems,
but I had not connected it for several months. Other UMASS devices
(iPod, memory sticks and external drives) seem to work fine, so it is
some regression to some oddity with this device.

I am attaching the log of the crash and the backtrace.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)