Re: wpa_supplicant in head

From: Kevin Oberman <oberman_at_es.net>
Date: Sun, 18 Nov 2007 14:45:14 -0800
> From: rmgls_at_free.fr
> Date: Sun, 18 Nov 2007 16:53:56 +0100
> Sender: owner-freebsd-current_at_freebsd.org
>

> Hi all,
>
> I investigated a little more, with my connection problem.
> in fact, even with a world and a kernel of this morning, i cannot connect
> to my AP, because this one is hidden, (the ssid is not transmitted in his frames).
> and wpa_supplicant does not recognize it even indicating his bssid.
> when it is not hidden, all works fine with all machines.
> the problem occurs only when the AP is hidden.
> Something has changed between the 30-9-2007 and the 27-10, date of my update.
> i can confirm that world and kernel of 30-9 connected quite well even
> with a hidden AP.
>
> Here is the config:
>
> Current, on two machines, (one laptop with the iwi driver,
> and one smp with ath builtin on the motherboard.
> i use wpa_supplicant with both, and nothing has changed in the config.
> of course the config_file points to the ssid and psk is correct.
> wpa_supplicant -d see the mac address but reports a bad ssid "" (hidden),
> but the ssid of the AP is present.
>
> With some help perhaps i can investigate furthermore and solve the problem.
> Thanks in advance.

This looks just too obvious, so it is probably not the answer. Do you
have "scan_ssid=1" in the network definition in
/etc/wpa_supplicant.conf? It is required for unadvertised APs, even if
the ssid is specified.

Here is the (sanitized) entry for my home net which does not advertise
(WEP, not WPA):
network={
        ssid="xyz1234"
        scan_ssid=1