Re: bizarre em + TSO + MSS issue in RELENG_7

From: Mike Andrews <mandrews_at_bit0.com>
Date: Sun, 18 Nov 2007 18:26:23 -0500 (EST)
On Sun, 18 Nov 2007, Jack Vogel wrote:

> On Nov 18, 2007 11:33 AM, Jack Vogel <jfvogel_at_gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Got a few more data points here.
>>>
>>> I can reproduce this on an i386 kernel, so it isn't amd64 specific.
>>>
>>> I can reproduce this on an 82541EI nic, so it isn't 82573 specific.
>>>
>>> I can't reproduce this on a Marvell Yukon II (msk) nic; it works fine
>>> whether TSO is on or off.
>>>
>>> I can't reproduce this on a bge nic because it doesn't support TSO :)
>>> That's the only other gigabit nic I've got easy access to.
>>>
>>> I can reproduce this with just a Cisco 877W IOS-based router and no Cisco
>>> PIX / ASA firewalls in the way, with the servers on the LAN interface with
>>> "ip tcp adjust-mss 1340" on it, and the downloading client on the Cisco's
>>> 802.11G interface.  This time, the client is a Macbook Pro running
>>> Leopard, and I'm running "tcpdump -i en1 -s 1500 -n -v length \> 1394" on
>>> the Macbook (not the server this time) to find oversize packets, which is
>>> actually handier because I can see how trashed they really get :)
>>>
>>> I can't reproduce this between two machines on the same subnet (though I
>>> can reproduce throughput problems alone).  I haven't tried lowering the
>>> system MSS on one end yet (is there a sysctl to lower the MSS for outbound
>>> connections without lowering the MTU as well?).  If I could do this it
>>> would greatly simplify testing for everyone as they wouldn't have to stick
>>> an MSS-clamping router in the middle.  It doesn't have to be Cisco.
>>>
>>> With this setup, copying to the Mac through the 877W from:
>>>
>>> msk-based server, TSO disabled: tcpdump reports no problems, file
>>> transfers are fast
>>>
>>> msk-based server, TSO enabled: tcpdump reports no problems, file
>>> transfers are fast
>>>
>>> em-based server, TSO disabled: tcpdump reports no problems, file
>>> transfers are fast
>>>
>>> em-based server, TSO enabled: tcpdump reports numerous oversize packets of
>>> varying sizes just as before, AND numerous packets with bad TCP checksums.
>>> The checksum problems aren't limited to only the large packets though.
>>> (That's probably what's causing the throughput problems.)  Toggling rxcsum
>>> and txcsum flags on the server made no difference.  What I haven't tried
>>> yet is hexdumping the packets to see what exactly is getting trashed.
>>>
>>> The problem still comes and goes; sometimes it'll work for a few minutes
>>> after boot, sometimes not; it might be dependent on what other traffic's
>>> going through the box.
>>
>> Hmmm, OK so the data is pointing to something in the em TSO  or encap
>> code. I will look into this tomorrow. So the necessary elements are systems
>> on two subnets and em doing the transmitting with TSO?

And a sub-1460 MSS on the client end OR the router doing MSS clamping,
yes.  I can't yet reproduce it with 1500 byte MTU's or between two
machines on the same subnet.  I definitely haven't done any tests with
jumbos...

> BTW, not to dodge the problem, but this is a case where I'd say its absurd
> to be using TSO. Is the link at 1G or 100Mb?

It's reproducible at either speed, but I personally am perfectly happy
leaving TSO disabled on my production boxes -- I've got my workaround, it
performs, I'm cool.  At this point I'm pursuing a fix more for others'
benefit because some other people are having at least throughput issues --
and for my own weirdo curiosity.

If a fix doesn't make 7.0-RELEASE (and I almost hate to say this) might it
be worth disabling TSO by default in RELENG_7_0 but back on for RELENG_7?