Re: Any successful installs on a Broadcom HT1000 chipset?

From: Travis Mikalson <bofh_at_terranova.net>
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2007 13:24:14 -0500
Freddie Cash wrote:
> On November 21, 2007 04:26 am Barney Cordoba wrote:
>> It would be a major
>> black eye to the project to say "FreeBSD 7 is
>> released, but BTW, if you have a supermicro or tyan
>> opteron system it won't work at all".
>
> The HT1000 is only 1 of the Opteron chipsets available from Tyan, and it's
> only available on their 1 socket boards (the Tomcats).  The dual- and
> quad- socket boards either use AMD or AMD+nVidia chipsets (Socket
> 939/940), or nVidia chipsets (Socket AM2).  Out of their entire lineup,
> the HT1000 makes up maybe 10% of the chipsets used by Tyan.
>
> I'd hardly call that a "black eye".  And it's only the onboard SATA
> controller that has issues.  Pop in a proper RAID controller, and it's no
> longer an issue.

Hate to sound like a broken record but that's exactly what I did and I
ran into the same nasty data corruption problem on that controller, too.
That was a little frustrating.

atapci0_at_pci0:2:3:0:     class=0x010000 card=0x11ab11ab chip=0x608111ab
rev=0x09 hdr=0x00
     vendor     = 'Marvell Semiconductor (Was: Galileo Technology Ltd)'
     device     = 'MV88SX6081 8-port SATA II PCI-X Controller'
     class      = mass storage
     subclass   = SCSI

I don't want a hardware RAID or a "software RAID" controller, I just
want normal SATA ports with no RAID so I can use ZFS :)

I find myself much preferring ZFS to any other data management solution
I have ever used, including 3ware hardware RAID which was my previous
favorite.

Another thing I haven't tried yet is a 3ware 9500 series PCI-X
controller in my HT1000 board's PCI-X slot to see if that's also broken
or if it's just a PCI-X + ata(4) specific problem.

I'll reply with the result of that when I get to trying it out.

>> Someone was complaining 2 years ago that they didn't
>> have hardware to do the work. Is the FreeBSD project
>> really so poorly funded that they can't get their
>> hands on a $150 motherboard for 2 years?
>
> Ever considered sending one in?  :)

I am considering it. Are any reputable FreeBSD developers interested in
this problem that could benefit from having the problematic hardware in
their posession?

--
TerraNovaNet Internet Services - Key Largo, FL
Voice: (305)453-4011 x101   Fax: (305)451-5991