Re: Sysinstall fails to re-allocate disk space.

From: JoaoBR <joao_at_matik.com.br>
Date: Fri, 23 Nov 2007 13:48:11 -0200
On Friday 23 November 2007 13:33:15 Gary Jennejohn wrote:
> On Fri, 23 Nov 2007 15:46:47 +0100
>
> "Julian H. Stacey" <jhs_at_berklix.org> wrote:
> > Ken Smith wrote:
> > > Subject: Re: FreeBSD 7.0-BETA3 Available
> > > The 7.0-BETA3 builds are now available.  If you would like to download
> >
> > I installed 7.0-BETA3-i386-disc1.iso (after checking md5 on cd) on a 4G
> > disc I told sysinstall:
> > 	Use whole disc
> > 	A	For Auto defaults.
> > 		It allocated 9M for swap !
> > 		I deleted swap & /usr to get space,
> > 		Allocated 100M for swap.
> > 		It said not enough space (despite 3G free !)
>
> My goodness, Julian. A 4GB disk.
>
> I suspect that a n00b wouldn't dream of trying to use a disk that small.
> I suspect that he wouldn't even know that disks that small exist(ed).
>
> Using such a small disk is something for an expert, in which case said
> expert would do the expert install and first allocate space for swap and
> the rest as one file system. That method would probably yield the desired
> results.

well, hard to agree to what you say and Julian is correct I guess, an
installer should not allocate more space as available for any partition ...
unless it really need such much space

Even if you suspect there are no 4g disks there are much smaller ones

we use for most of our APs 500M NB disks because solid states do not provide
permanent logs and freebsd fits well on them, I myself didn't any install for
some time but I believe the auto defaults should consider their size to what
is available and on 6 they do it I guess

--

Joćo