Re: Can not boot 7.0-BETA3 with puc

From: Marcel Moolenaar <xcllnt_at_mac.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2007 09:59:46 -0800
On Nov 26, 2007, at 6:27 AM, Frank Behrens wrote:

> Marcel Moolenaar <xcllnt_at_mac.com> wrote on 25 Nov 2007 13:56:
>> It's actually more a job for the newbus infrastructure. Whenever
>> a child is created in a particular device class, it's assigned
>> a unit number. Then and there do you want to implement policies
>> about unit numbers. Not in the individual drivers, whether leave
>> or otherwise.
>
> Do you believe I should create a PR, that we have a regression in
> 7.0 for newbus
> infrastructure?

I don't think we have a regression in the newbus infrastructure,
because we never had this support there. The problem has always
been that we have treated the COM ports as a special case when
we shouldn't have. Granted, other bugs forced us to treat the
COM port specially (i.e. wiring the low-level console to a unit
number before bus enumeration proper), but this is just more of
the same...

My suggestion is to use uart(4) and not worry about the unit
number. Your console will work irrespective...

--
Marcel Moolenaar
xcllnt_at_mac.com