Re: 7.0-BETA3 kernel panic when unplugging USB stick

From: Graham Todd <gtodd_at_bellanet.org>
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2007 13:48:53 -0500
Matthias Schmidt wrote:
> Hi,
>
> * Mark Linimon wrote:
>> On Mon, Nov 26, 2007 at 11:00:45AM +0100, Matthias Schmidt wrote:
>>> When I plugged out the stick, I got the below messages followed by a
>>> kernel panic:
>> Unfortunately, a well-known problem that will require some serious
>> re-architecting to fix.
>
> OK, thanks for the answer.  Could you elaborate on that topic a bit
> further.  Is there a difference between unplugging a "recognized" USB
> stick and an "unrecognized" USB stick?

I thought this usually occured since whenever a filesystem went missing
(e.g. even a "transient" one auto-mounted from a usb key) the kernel
would panic. It's inconvenient (& can be embarassing) but well known :)

Is the crash you are experiencing caused by simply physically removing
an unrecognized usb device that is not mounted or somehow in use?