Re: 802.11 w/ WEP requires deftxkey explicitly set after 2007-08-24

From: Chuck Robey <chuckr_at_chuckr.org>
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2007 19:29:11 -0500
Sam Leffler wrote:
> Tom Uffner wrote:
>> Last night when i updated my laptop from June 26's CURRENT to CURRENT
>> as of a few days ago my wireless connection stopped working for no
>> apparent reason.
>>
>> What was wrong became painfully obvious once I tracked the problem
>> back to this commit:
>>
>> sam         2007-08-24 15:44:27 UTC
>>
>>   FreeBSD src repository
>>
>>   Modified files:
>>     sys/net80211         ieee80211_output.c
>>   Log:
>>   drop frames marked for encryption when no key is available
>>
>>   Reviewed by:    avatar
>>   Approved by:    re (kensmith)
>>   Obtained from:  madwifi
>>
>>   Revision  Changes    Path
>>   1.51      +1 -0      src/sys/net80211/ieee80211_output.c
>>
>> Up until this change i didn't need to set deftxkey, it seems to have
>> defaulted to wepkey 1 which i did have set. It is an obvious workaround
>> now, but a note in UPDATING would have saved me about 9 hours of reading
>> commitlogs, building kernels and rebooting (on an old slow laptop).
>>
>> If it doesn't violate the standard, could we make deftxkey default to
>> the lowest indexed WEP key that has been set? if not, could we mention
>> it in UPDATING and/or ifconfig(8) lest it bite someone else.
>
> deftxkey has defaulted to an undefined state since 6.0.  Perhaps you can
> show the specific case that is a regression for you.

Is that because some standard requires it?  Masking the default value to
be set to something that can't possibly work seems to be a pretty silly
thing to do, unless some standard requires it.  Needing compatibility
with a previous error in FreeBSD only is not sufficient, following such
a rule would invalidate all progress permanently, it must be
compatibility with some standard like POSIX, and even there, we have (I
believe) several instances where we deliberately refused to follow
obvious silliness.