Re: idea bouncing: using cvs as a replacement for mergemaster

From: Kevin Oberman <oberman_at_es.net>
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2007 13:16:26 -0800
> From: "Daniel O'Connor" <doconnor_at_gsoft.com.au>
> Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2007 20:45:26 +1030
> Sender: owner-freebsd-current_at_freebsd.org
>
> On Wed, 28 Nov 2007, Giorgos Keramidas wrote:
> > On 2007-11-27 22:45, "Aryeh M. Friedman" <aryeh.friedman_at_gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > > I was thinking seeing the fact that I already have a cvs repo of
> > > - -current does it make sense to just use CVS to update /etc
> > > instead of mergemaster... if so any ideas on doing it cleanly?
> >
> > It may work, but it doesn't ``scale'' to dozens of machines, and you
> > still have to do merging when upstream files (the ones in the FreeBSD
> > repository) change.  It's not particularly hard to merge with CVS, if
> > you consider the src/etc files of FreeBSD a ``vendor branch'', but
> > it's not exactly a fun ride either.
>
> etcmerge does a 3 way merge which makes most updates almost completely
> painless.. It does need to be taught to special case certain files tho
> (ie all of the ones derived from others like spwd.db, aliases.db, etc)
> but apart from that it is very nice.
>
> It is a port - sysutils/etcmerge.

Another simple solution, which needs more publicity, is 'mergemaster
-U'. I do my updates using -Ui and seldom have to deal any manual
merge. It's not perfect as I still need to deal with locally modified
files, but "it's good enough".
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)