Re: -CURRENT buildkernel failure

From: Robert Watson <rwatson_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2007 21:58:15 +0000 (GMT)
On Thu, 29 Nov 2007, Harry Matthiesen Jensen wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 29, 2007 at 02:01:40PM +0100, Uwe Grohnwaldt wrote:
>>
>> #
>> ===> zyd (all)
>> #
>
> I have had same issue.... I just replaced my old customized kernel
> configuration with the GENERIC, and started over again..
>
> ..everything works like a dream again.
>
> I renamed the GENERIC to my needs, and reconfigured the kernel configuration
> file.

I have to admit that, these days, I almost always create a new file, include
GENERIC, set a new ident, and then just add or trim options and devices as
needed.  While I probably trim a little less from my kernel than I used to, I
find my upgrade path is much smoother since I'm just maintaining my local
variations in their own file.  Typically, I'm just adding a few options and
devices locally, however, and not making large-scale modifications.  I find
the include directive to be invaluable though.

Robert N M Watson
Computer Laboratory
University of Cambridge