Re: Kernel configging (was Re: -CURRENT buildkernel failure)

From: Peter Jeremy <peterjeremy_at_optushome.com.au>
Date: Sat, 1 Dec 2007 07:55:30 +1100
On Thu, Nov 29, 2007 at 04:07:53PM -0600, Matthew D. Fuller wrote:
>What I do do these days, though, is use my choice of the current gen
>of distributed VCS's (though it's almost an insultingly simple
>use-case  ;) to keep copies of GENERIC in one branch, and derive my
>config from that.

Since I use bits of NOTES as well as GENERIC, I find it easier to
include the current $FreeBSD lines from GENERIC and both NOTES files
in my local config file.  I then have a shell script that extracts the
$FreeBSD lines from my config file and cvs diffs them against the
current GENERIC/NOTES versions.  I then update my config file with any
new $FreeBSD lines and include or ignore the actual config changes as
appropriate.

Given a list of local config files, the script is basically:
cd /usr/src
while file=shift; do
   echo "######### Differences in $file"
   awk '$2 == "$FreeBSD:" { print substr($3, 5, length($3) - 6), $4 }' $file |
     while read x ver; do
       cvs -R diff -u -r$ver $x
     done
done