Re: various rants about 7-currnet on AMD64

From: Aryeh Friedman <aryeh.friedman_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 1 Oct 2007 04:37:27 +0000
> > 6.2 --
> >
> > * Horrid non-SMP kernel performence (acceptable after SMP was added)
>
> 'horrid' means nothing to anyone without some details.

installworld took 4 hours

> > * Xorg (7.2) not working at all (vesa 640x480 with no mouse was the best I
> > managed)
>
> Again, no details.  This sounds an Xorg issue anyhow, right?

Sorry but do a search on -x11 and -questions for nvidia issues and you
will see the background

> > * Many TCP/IP stack issues

See "7.0-CURRENT Ports Collection?" thread in -questions (notably the
sub thread between me and Kris Kennaway)

> > * All native java builds fail with compile errors
>
> Copy/paste?  Did you email them to the java_at_ list? Ports list?

I just assumed they where all due to 7-current still being under
development until I switched to amd64 and they all went away without
saving the output

> > * hplip fails immediately after install
>
> Errors?

monsert# uname -a
FreeBSD monsert 7.0-CURRENT FreeBSD 7.0-CURRENT #2: Sun Sep 30
20:57:46 UTC 2007     aryeh_at_monsert:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC
amd64
monsert# hpiod
can't open or create : m io/hpiod/hpiod.cpp 195

> > * Doesn't recognize PATA drives if installed at the same time as SATA
> >
> > 7-CURRENT i386 --
> >
> > * Horrid performence under default kernel needed to switch to
> > ULE/IPI_PREMEPTION/DEVICE_POLLING
>
> Again, no details.

Ran slower then my old p4 2.8 (non-SMP i386 6.2-pl5)

> > * Kernel sees card after install of nvidia driver but Xorg (7.3)
> > doesn't recognize it (vesa 1024x768 only)... many address conflicts
> > reported... nv driver is no better
>
> Did you look at the supported hardware for the NVidia driver?  How about
> the nv driver?

Yes and the kernel reconized the card but Xorg did not

> > * All native java builds fail with compile errors
>
> Too bad you didn't include any of them.

See above.

> > * hplip fails immediately after install
>
> I'm sound like a broken record..

Same error as above

> > * Diablo-jdk15 completely broken for any GUI oriented code

Closes any window immediately and exits