Re: SCHED_ULE on desktop system

From: Marc Fonvieille <blackend_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Mon, 1 Oct 2007 12:15:25 +0200
On Tue, Sep 18, 2007 at 12:44:52AM -0700, Jeff Roberson wrote:

> Marcus,
>
> What has happened is that you have run an x application that is so
> expensive we no longer consider it interactive.  Unfortunately, due to the
> nature of the x server architecture, much of the compute time is spent in
> x11 rather than the offending application.  There really isn't anything to
> be done in this case other than mark X as real-time.  You can try to tune
> up the interactivity heuristic limit by setting kern.sched.interact to a
> higher value.  This will help with short term bursts of x server cpu
> utilization, however, sustained, expensive x windows processing will always
> trigger poorer interactive behavior.

I have the same problems as Roman: once I compile something, most of X
applications become slow as hell with lagging screen refresh.  That's on
-CURRENT (with all debug, malloc, invariant things disabled) with ULE
and Xorg 4.3 (I'll test with the legacy scheduler as soon as possible).
This behavior does not occur on 6.2 but with Xorg 7.2, so I really suspect
last Xorg release to be guilty.  Jeff you often mentioned tests on your
laptop, could you check what Xorg version your run?

I played with kern.sched.interact MIB but it was worse.

--
Marc