Re: GSoC2007: cnst-sensors.2007-09-13.patch

From: Kevin Oberman <oberman_at_es.net>
Date: Mon, 01 Oct 2007 11:37:28 -0700
> Date: Mon, 01 Oct 2007 19:34:56 +0200
> From: mato <gamato_at_users.sf.net>
>
> Kevin Oberman wrote:
> >> From: martinko <gamato_at_users.sf.net>
> >> Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2007 20:35:44 +0200
> >> Sender: owner-freebsd-current_at_freebsd.org

> >> I've got Pentium-M at 2GHz and when fully loaded it heats up to 79
> >> Celsius.  Could it be OK or do I have a faulty laptop ?
> >>

> > My Pentium-M 2GHz system will get well above 80C when doing big builds
> > and this is well below the defined PSV (94.5C) and CRT (99C)
> > levels. These things can run very hot and be perfectly happy.
> >
> > OTOH, it might be time to clean the heatsink in the machine. That can
> > hurt heat transfer as a machine gets older.
> >
> > FWIW, the spec on the Pentium-M 2GHZ system is 105C, so CRT at 99 looks
> > right.
> >

> Mine says:
>
> hw.acpi.thermal.tz0._PSV: 105.0C
> hw.acpi.thermal.tz0._CRT: 110.0C
>
> This is Asus W1N laptop.

I'm not about to start checking spec sheets for people. They are all
on-line. I assume that the ASUS W1N is not in the same processor family
as the Pentium-M 735, but I have no idea what it is. I don't even know
if it is Intel, AMD or VIA.

Looks like this one might require Kevlar pants if you put it on your
lap. Ouch! Of course, the external temperature of the unit will never
approach these temperatures.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)