Re: small purposal for change in installworld

From: Astrodog <astrodog_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2007 02:30:25 -0500
On 10/3/07, Aryeh Friedman <aryeh.friedman_at_gmail.com> wrote:
> On 10/3/07, Robert Backhaus <robbak_at_robbak.com> wrote:
> > On 10/3/07, Aryeh Friedman <aryeh.friedman_at_gmail.com> wrote:
> > > Installworld shouldn't clobber the supfiles in
> > > /usr/share/example/cvsup... having to change the default host after
> > > every build/install world is annoying
> >
> > Another option is to always specify the host on the command line (csup
> > -h cvsup2.au.freebsd.org ....) or using a tool like fastest_cvsup
> > (csup -h `fastest_cvsup -qc au` ...).
> >

> Where in the ports collection do I find fastest_cvsup?  side question
> maybe we want to make it the default host for cvsup (ala gentoo's
> emerge)

I believe the... perhaps unsaid point behind this behavior is that it
is generally unwise to easily allow someone who cannot type
"cvsup5.us.freebsd.org", or somesuch, to update a system from source.

FreeBSD's buildworld/kernel/etc can be significantly more demanding of
users than most of Gentoo emerge's behavior. Gentoo handles small
chunks of the system, generally speaking, whereas in FreeBSD you have
buildworld ; buildkernel ; installkernel ; boot  ; mergemaster ;
installworld ; boot, and a mistake during this process can render a
machine unusable.

Given the inherent dangers of using cvsup, and updating from source, I
do not believe this... minor barrier to entry really deserves
consideration, and I'm sure we can all agree that it really would be
best to paint it blue.

--- Harrison