Re: small purposal for change in installworld

From: Stefan Lambrev <stefan.lambrev_at_moneybookers.com>
Date: Wed, 03 Oct 2007 12:31:16 +0300
Hi,

Aryeh Friedman wrote:
> On 10/3/07, Joao Pedras <jpedras_at_webvolution.net> wrote:
>

>> in that case, maybe a fitting location would be /etc/default/cvsup or
>> /etc/default/supfiles. No change needed in mergemaster, just the file
>> locations.
>>
>> Where this may lead to, is that a lot of stuff from /usr/share/examples
>> will/would (arguably!) belong in /etc...
>>

> /etc/config/... ???  that way people will know what is system config
> stuff and what is not... also I think it might make sense to set aside
> space in /usr/local/etc for stuff like kernel configs (namely any
> kernel config found there automatically supersedes GENERIC on make
> buildkernel with no kernel specified)

So far all that you want to do can be done using /etc/make.conf

cat /etc/make.conf :
######### sup ##########
SUP_UPDATE=
#
SUP=            /usr/bin/csup
SUPFLAGS=       -g -L 1
SUPHOST=        cvsup.PUT_YOUR_COUNTRY_CODE_HERE.FreeBSD.org
SUPFILE=        /usr/share/examples/cvsup/standard-supfile
PORTSSUPFILE=   /usr/share/examples/cvsup/ports-supfile

So now simple make update in /usr/src and /usr/ports works. You do not
have to specify anything else.

KERNCONF=CORE GENERIC

So when I type in /usr/src: make kernel  always both kernels are build
(only CORE is installed)
Of course you can leave only to KERCONF=YOUR_KERNCONF_FILE

so if you want to build freebsd from latest sources simple
cd /usr/src && make update buildworld kernel installworld && mergemaster -i
should work perfect.

What about /etc .. everything there is system configuration files :) so
if we make /etc/config then we have to move all files to /etc/config ..
But - /usr/local/etc have nothing to do with system configuration (like
kernel confs), on freshly installed freebsd /usr/local does not exist :)
it is created and dedicated for 3rd party software - ports and etc.

So my point is that I do not see any reasons for changes here , just
read the documentation and you will be surprised how many things are
already done.