Re: ZFS corrupting data, even just sitting idle

From: Peter Schuller <peter.schuller_at_infidyne.com>
Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2007 22:50:48 +0200
> Supposedly this card uses a Marvell 88SX6081 chipset, which as far as i
> could tell is handled by Sorens ATA driver. Looks like work done elsewhere
> in the kernel is making that driver misbehave in all sorts of weird ways
> now.

How confirmed is this? I am using that exact chipset on CURRENT from
about 2007-09-05, with raidz2 on a 6 drive array + a single drive for
the system (both on ZFS). I haven't seen checksum errors on scrubbing
yet. How recent would this regression be? And what would the symptomes
be? Is there a discussion on an ML about this?

If it's regressed that would be sad, not only because I happen to have
such a controller, but because it's seems to be about the *only*
many-port SATA controller you can find, unless you shell out lots of
money for a hardware RAID controller you (1) don't even want (2) might
even make reliability worse if you want to run ZFS. So for my money it
seems to be the best controller available for a home (or otherwise
low-budget) server.

Is there anything I can to do help resolve any issues, other than
fixing them myself (sorry)? Providing a card to somebody for example?

--
/ Peter Schuller

PGP userID: 0xE9758B7D or 'Peter Schuller <peter.schuller_at_infidyne.com>'
Key retrieval: Send an E-Mail to getpgpkey_at_scode.org
E-Mail: peter.schuller_at_infidyne.com Web: http://www.scode.org