Re: small purposal for change in installworld

From: Doug Barton <dougb_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Thu, 4 Oct 2007 17:02:57 -0700 (PDT)
On Wed, 3 Oct 2007, Aryeh Friedman wrote:

> Sorry for being a little abrasive... my main point is we should aim
> for more of a "point and click" style of doing things... apple and ms
> have done it pretty well for the average case.

I think your mistake is in thinking that this is a goal shared by the
developers who actually do the work on the base system. I say this as
someone who has actually spent quite a lot of time working on parts of the
system that make maintenance, operation, and UI issues "easier" for users.

There is a certain level below which you can't go without radically
changing the "personality" of the project. Several people have pointed you
to other projects that use FreeBSD as the OS but add more user-friendly
stuff on top. I think this is a good approach, and my read of the
developer community is that this is the direction things will go in the
future as well.

Meanwhile, your statement "we should aim for ..." is totally devoid of
meaning. There is no "we" in the sense that you imply. There is only you,
and your keyboard. If you want something FreeBSD related, get to work.
That's the only way it's going to happen.

If you think that the above paragraph is "too harsh," that's Ok. It also
happens to be the truth.

Doug