Re: viral license free fork of freebsd

From: Aryeh Friedman <aryeh.friedman_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 5 Oct 2007 05:42:07 +0000
On 10/5/07, LI Xin <delphij_at_delphij.net> wrote:
> Aryeh Friedman wrote:
> > I am intrested in putting together a version of FreeBSD (at least the
> > non-ports portion) that is 100% viral license (gpl and lgpl [not
> > techinically viral but I don't trust it]) free... where would be a
> > good starting point on this project?
>
> Set
> MK_GNU           = no, and
> MK_GNU_SUPPORT   = no?

Will that remove all gnu code?

> Well, if you want a moderate amount of work you may want to try
> replacing sort(1) with the old BSD one, and optimize it.  Also some
> *roff stuff, etc.  If you are really energyic then you will want to join
> a project like llvm or so for a better compiler.

I will look at what else needs to be done.

> My opinion is that, while licensing issue is important, but there are a
> lot of other factors that must be taken into account.  If a new piece of
> software has better code quality, better performance, etc., then it
> would be a big bonus over "just with a license we liked" :-)  Optimizing
> libc/regex might be a good start if you want to go this way.

I have other reasons and goals then "I don't like the license"
specifically if I was going to start building an os under a SIW
license (http://www.flosoft-systems.com/miai/index.php and
http://www.flosoft-systems.com/blogs/aryeh/index.php [first three
enteries]) GPL is not compatible with this approach.  The main idea
behind SIW is to make FOSS-like work easier to make a living from.
See url's for details.