Re: ZFS & NFS integration...

From: Pawel Jakub Dawidek <pjd_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Sun, 7 Oct 2007 13:09:41 +0200
On Sun, Oct 07, 2007 at 10:48:49AM +0200, Dag-Erling Sm??rgrav wrote:
> Darren Reed <darrenr_at_freebsd.org> writes:
> > Dag-Erling Sm??rgrav wrote:
> > > Don't Do It, basically.
> > This sounds like a "shoot yourself in the foot" comment.
> >
> > Why?
>
> I haven't figured out the exact details yet, but apparently when the
> client closes a file that was opened read / write, the server stops
> responding to that client.

I never saw behaviour like that, and AFAIR noone told about such
problems before. Actually I'm using NFS exported ZFS file systems in
production at my company:

	beast:root:~# zfs get -r sharenfs tank | egrep -v 'sharenfs  (-|off)' | wc -l
	      28

The load is rather light, but I never seen a single problem.

So based on other e-mails in this thread as well, it's seems it's not a
well known issue. Any chance you could debug it further? My standpoint
is that NFS over ZFS is supported by our port, if that's not true, we
should work on this.

pjd_at_FreeBSD.org                           http://www.FreeBSD.org