Re: suggest renaming and extending the -CURRENT and -STABLE lines

From: Eygene Ryabinkin <rea-fbsd_at_codelabs.ru>
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2007 16:19:03 +0400
Christian, good day.

Wed, Oct 10, 2007 at 03:52:14PM +0200, Christian Baer wrote:
> If someone sees the result of RELENG_6 is called STABLE, he or she will
> problably think, this is the line where bug fixes are added, security
> problems fixed and the whole thing is meant for production systems. While
> the first two things may be true, I would not suggest RELENG_6 for
> production systems. Normally the -STABLE line works fine. But I *have*
> times in the past where a driver was changes and suddenly the system
> *didn't* work after a reboot or showed strange behaviour.

But let us look at the issue from the user's side: where can he get
RELENG_6?  Only cvsup, CTM and monthly snapshots come into my mind.
Regular CDs/ISOs will deliver RELENG_6_x.  Users that are trying
to use snapshots should realize that they're doing it at their own
risk, but maybe documentation and FTP directory messages should
tell them that shapshots can broke their installations.  Seems like
CTM users are the educated persons, so they won't need any
clarifications.  Examples of the CVSup supfiles are the good
candidates for the short messages clarifying the nature of the
-STABLE and referring to the relevant Handbook sections for more
explanations.
--
Eygene