Re: Compaq Smart Array 5300

From: Christopher Arnold <chris_at_arnold.se>
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2007 19:32:34 +0200 (CEST)
On Wed, 10 Oct 2007, Jeremy Chadwick wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 10, 2007 at 08:06:21PM +0200, Christopher Arnold wrote:
>>
>> anyone aware of issues with Compaq Smart Array 5300 on a current only a day
>> old?
>>
>> This is what i get in the boot message:
>> ciss0: <Compaq Smart Array 5300> port 0xe800-0xe8ff mem
>> 0xfebc0000-0xfebfffff,0xfea00000-0xfeafffff irq 22 at device 1.0 on pci2
>> ciss0: can't allocate config window
>> device_attach: ciss0 attach returned 6
>>
>> The full output can be found at:
>> http://www.arnold.se/boot.txt
>> http://www.arnold.se/pciconf.txt
>>
>> Im trying to run it in a Supermicro 6010 with 370DER+ motherboard.
>>
>> Anyone who has any input on what this could be?
>
> It's one of those bloody QLogic GEM chips; on this motherboard, it's
> probably the QLogic GEM 354.  The motherboard manual does indicate this,
> although only in the Windows driver section (this does not surprise me,
> as some other vendors use GEM chips and don't tell you until you
> actually have to deal with them...)

I havn't actually verified this, but it may be true.

> In general: I wouldn't worry about the lack of ciss0 device.  In fact,
> I'd go so far to recommend you remove ses and ciss from the kernel on
> that box, and hope for the best.  Scott (Long) may have some better
> (and more accurate) advice on the matter; my experiences are my own.

Removing ciss from the kernel dosn't help. Now i get:
kernel: pcib2: <ACPI Host-PCI bridge> on acpi0
kernel: pci2: <ACPI PCI bus> on pcib2
kernel: pci2: <mass storage, RAID> at device 1.0 (no driver attached)

Which seems reasonable...

Does anyone have an idea what "ciss0 attach returned 6" could stand for?

 	/Chris