Re: Version 8.0?!!???

From: Ken Smith <kensmith_at_cse.Buffalo.EDU>
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2007 20:51:39 -0400
On Thu, 2007-10-11 at 20:25 -0700, David Benfell wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> So I was in for a bit of a surprise when I just booted up the
> a version of CURRENT built today:
>
> FreeBSD earth.cybernude.org 8.0-CURRENT FreeBSD 8.0-CURRENT #56: Thu Oct 11 10:27:17 PDT 2007     root_at_earth.cybernude.org:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/EARTH  i386
>
> [snicker]
>
> No real harm, right?

Oops.  Sorry for not giving some sort of a heads-up here.  :-(

As others have pointed out HEAD becoming 8.0-CURRENT was a side-effect
of branching RELENG_7 which signals we're ready to "go public" with the
7.0 release cycle.  Sorry for the delay with getting that rolling.  We
decided to shift to time-based release cycles instead of feature-based
release cycles.  One side-effect of that is new features already present
in the tree may in the end turn out to be not quite ready for prime-time
at the point we want to start preparing the release (despite peoples'
best intentions this *is* a volunteer project so ...).  The bottom line
is we had one of those situations arise and we (mostly I) didn't deal
with it very well so things dragged on longer than expected.

With the branching done we've started to discuss a schedule, that should
appear some time in the next day or two.  Current plan is for BETA1
builds to begin next Wednesday.

As someone else pointed out the HEAD code freeze is over.  We'll be
trying to keep HEAD in stable shape through to the end of the release
because things headed for RELENG_7 first need a bit of testing in HEAD.
But in general developers start working on new projects and whatnot in
HEAD fairly shortly after a new major branch (e.g. RELENG_7) appears.
Unless you're a fairly hardcore developer type if you've been using HEAD
because it seemed fairly stable lately now would probably be a good time
for you to shift over to RELENG_7.  :-)

--
                                                Ken Smith
- From there to here, from here to      |       kensmith_at_cse.buffalo.edu