Re: AMD690G/V issues with 7-current (sata, usb)

From: 韓家標 Bill Hacker <askbill_at_conducive.net>
Date: Sat, 13 Oct 2007 13:11:32 -0400
Hans Petter Selasky wrote:
> On Saturday 13 October 2007, W B Hacker wrote:
>> Michal Varga wrote:
>>> Yesterday I bought an AMD690-based motherboard for a 7-current desktop -
>>>
>>> http://www.gigabyte.us/Products/Motherboard/Products_Spec.aspx?ClassValue
>>> =Motherboard&ProductID=2437&ProductName=GA-MA69VM-S2
>> *Snip*
>>
>>> USB:
>>> Second issue is with USB, the initialization fails every time when there
>>> is mouse plugged in prior to FreeBSD boot (but not if the mouse is
>>> plugged later).
>> Similar. ASUS P5K, GigaByte G33-DS3R.
>>
>> Option the USB mouse support OFF in the BIOS.
>>
>> Otherwise, though detected, it is *ALSO* presumed to be 'in use', since the
>> BIOS deosn't just 'enable' it - it actually starts it, and before the OS
>> boots.
>>
>> If NOT claimed by the BIOS, FreeBSD will find and use it from the defaults
>> in /etc/rc. No need to even bother with an /etc/rc.conf entry.
>>
>> Xorg (if you use it) will generally be au fait with that, even with the
>> mouse active in a CLI session before you startx or a wm.
>>
>> The OS it doing as it should do here - honoring the pre-existing resource
>> claim.
>
> Are you sure about that?

Certainly sounds 'contrarian' ...but that's what worked.

Spent a day or two tracking it, watching /dev/ums0 & the usb devs get loaded,
then unloaded, forcing it back in with various /boot/loader.conf and/or manual
steps, having the mouse ignored OR go mad..

Commenting in/out default mouse in /etc/rc and trying various manual flags in
/etc/rc.conf was no help. Not invoking/not invoking ums in /boot/loader.conf

Yet autoload just fine IF unplugged and re-plugged.  Tailed  /var/log/messages
and saw just the right stuff go by.

> I thought that the FreeBSD USB HC drivers always took away control from the
> BIOS when the USB drivers where loaded.

It appears to try to do that. 'Always' is subject to a factory recall.

dmesg.boot is exactly what one would expect, even to the make & model of each of
USB meese tried (Logitech, Kensington, Atech).

System would load ums, then unload it. ums0 would appear in /dev, then *disappear*.

> Michal Varga: Do you have USB in the kernel or are you loading the USB
> modules ?
>
> --HPS

See above. The BIOS issue has bitten both ways - and more.

Lie to it and see if that fixes the problem.

HTH,

Bill