Re: GigaByte GA-MA69VM USB+mouse problem

From: Michal Varga <varga.michal_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 14 Oct 2007 20:45:22 +0200
On Sun, 2007-10-14 at 13:53 -0400, 韓家標 Bill Hacker wrote:

> Keep on 'thinking opposite', then.
>
> I'll kick back and have a Bushmills, neat.
>
> Testing of 4 different MB, 3 USB and one PS2 mice with 6 flavors of FreeBSD, and
> one of DragonFlyBSD turned up:
>
> Option USB mouse support ON in BIOS, waste two days.
>
> Option USB mouse support OFF in BIOS, mouse responds as it should.

I already said that I have "USB mouse support = OFF" in BIOS. It is
obviously one of the first things one tries to toggle if something like
mouse doesn't work.

> > Two facts:
> > 1. This is a really generic low budget A4Tech mouse, I buy this single
> > model for about 5 years, because I love their design (they don't have
> > any) and their functions (they don't have any). I've had them attached
> > everywhere, from Pentium II, PIII, P4, Athlon, AM2 boards and this is
> > the first time the mouse doesn't work. If there was something really
> > special about this particular model, I'd be aware of that for some years
> > already..
> >

> ...but as you've just enumerated - the MB, its 'bridge' and USB chipset has
> changed, and the *BIOS* has changed....

But not the mouse (please read again what the point was about). And I'd
really like to test this motherboard with a different mouse model, but I
don't have any other nearby, just these (and a bunch of PS/2 that are of
no use here) and they always worked perfectly. So at least until
tomorrow, let's assume that the mouse is not a problem here, as it is
just a plain simple generic USB mouse, nothing more.

> > 2. Windows 2000 can initialize the mouse without any problems (and with
> > no specific drivers). FreeBSD can do that too, *after* the mouse is
> > plugged in when the OS is already running. I wouldn't argue if this is
> > GigaByte BIOS's fault or not, or if FreeBSD should do something more (or
> > less) during the initialization, this is not my field of expertise. But
>
> Clearly so.
>
> Windows is an entirely different environment, and not 'of interest'.
>
> DragonFly was close enough to be of interest.

How it is that a different operating system running on this motherboard
that doesn't show any symptoms with the mouse is "not of interest"? If I
said "Linux" or "Atari TOS", would that be ok, but because it works with
"Winbl0w$$$", such information is automatically of no interest? Well,
what a twist.

> The ums and usb are kldload/unload 'able modules.
> I've been banging on that very approach..
>
> Didn't help.
>
> BIOS setting USB kbd DISABLE, USB mouse DISABLE, all other USB ENABLE did.
>
> To be fair, your 'thinking opposite' has generated a lot less of a
> global-warming carbon footprint than all these machines I have running and the
> A/C to cool them.
>
> So keep at it...
>
> OTOH, my mouse JF works....

Ok, what should I do to convince you that I DO have
USB/kbd/mouse/support disabled in BIOS? Should I take a picture with a
camera? Dump you raw CMOS data? Buy you a ticket to come look at it?

Really, I disabled it the next reboot that I noticed my mouse isn't
working. I tried all combinations, tried to disable USB 2.0, legacy
support, flashed BIOS to the latest version, it has no effect on the
mouse problem. What I need are some ideas or pointers to what should I
try *next*, and you are not very helpful trying to convince me that I
don't know how to operate BIOS setup. If disabling USB mouse support in
BIOS helped in your case, I'm happy for you, but I have a different
motherboard and this approach clearly doesn't work. So if you, by a
chance, have any other ideas, I'll be more than happy to hear them.

m.