Re: Xen Status : FreeBSD-current as Dom/U.

From: Vincent Blondel <vincent_at_xtra-net.org>
Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2007 08:03:43 +0200 (CEST)
On Mon, October 15, 2007 22:35, Freddie Cash wrote:
On October 15, 2007 11:27 am Vincent Blondel wrote:
> I am trying to install FreeBSD-current as Dom/U on my Core2 Quad server
> hosting Linux Ubuntu 7.10 as Dom/0.

Is that a quad-core CPU or a quad-CPU system?

If it's a quad-core CPU, it should support Intel hardware virtualisation
feature.  If it does, you don't need any Xen patches or support in
FreeBSD.  Just create a Xen VM that supports hardware virtualisation (not
a paravirtualised VM) and install FreeBSD as per normal.  That's the
beauty of the Intel VT and AMD VX (or whatever they call it now)
features -- no need to patch an OS to run in a Xen VM.

Freddie,

My system is a Intel Core2 Quad Q6600 on a Intel Desktop Board DP35DP (
http://www.intel.com/products/motherboard/DP35DP/index.htm ) with 4Go Memory.
Dom/0 currently runs with a Ubuntu 7.10 ( amd64 version with Linux 2.6.22 and Xen 3.1 ).

So yes this CPU supports all what PAE,VMX, ...

Yesterday I created some LVM logical volumes and tried to install some Xen DOM/U systems like NetBSD,
FreeBSD and also would like to try some OpenSolaris, OpenBSD ..

So I googled a bit to find some installation kernels but got very surprised. First of all I tried NetBSD and
found some pre-compiled kernels for NetBSD-4.0 but get problems with it. Xen Dom/0 claims with a
incompatible kernel version because it does not support xen-3.0-x86_32. The only thing I see with xm info is
xen-3.0-x86_32p. I suppose "p" letter is for PAE.

So I am now blocked because I do not know if I have to use Dom/U amd64 or Dom/U i386 systems, if I have to
compile kernels with PAE support or not.

Concerning FreeBSD, I also searched for pre-compiled kernel but only found link specified in my previous
mail. As I said it it seems possible to get last snapshot from Preforce Repository but I do not get any
account on it and I do not know how and what I have to do just to get copy of the sources and applied the
difference on last cvsup snapshot.

So maybe I will be able to compiled a xen-3.0-x86_64 FreeBSD-7.0-Dom/U kernel.

Finally I am not sure to really understand what you explained above with virtualized and para-virtualized
kernel. As I understand it, we get two ways to install a Dom/U system. System that's not Xen compatible but
that can be installed through support for Intel VT ( e.g. Windows 2003 Server ). This runs with a hvm
loader.
The other way is with kernels that are Xen Dom/U compatible like BSD's and Linux based systems. Linux and
NetBSd are already running fine with Dom/U Dom/0. Other BSD's are are still making effort to support it
correctly.

Thanks to help me.
Vincent.

--
Freddie Cash, LPIC-2 CCNT CCLP      Network Support Technician
School District 73                  (250) 377-HELP [377-4357]