Re: Status of MySQL on 7 w/o patches applied

From: Peter Schuller <peter.schuller_at_infidyne.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2007 14:01:44 +0200
> > Just in case you missed some debugging knobs: can you retest with
> > RELENG_7? (not -current).

I will, but I did disable INVARIANTS/WITNESS. I was afraid I had
missed something else that I am not aware of; diffing the kernel conf
did not indicate this was the case.

> Also for Peter: can you try different schedulers?  The stock RELENG_7
> scheduler is 4BSD (reliable but not that fast), while ULE provides an
> *immense* improvement.

I tried both 4BSD and ULE. However, this was on a single-core
machine. Both ULE and 4BSD were similar on 7, but both much worse than
6.2 with 4BSD.

But alright. Sounds like I should be seeing good performance. I will
re-run benchmarks with RELENG_7 and report back. If I still see
unexpectedly poor performance I'll make sure to report much more
detail. I will also put more effort into duplicating the exact nature
of the benchmarks previously reported (by Kris IIRC). In this case the
MySQL setup was not exactly equivalent because there were settings
that were seemingly irrelevant and also not desired in my use case.

Thank you for the update.

--
/ Peter Schuller

PGP userID: 0xE9758B7D or 'Peter Schuller <peter.schuller_at_infidyne.com>'
Key retrieval: Send an E-Mail to getpgpkey_at_scode.org
E-Mail: peter.schuller_at_infidyne.com Web: http://www.scode.org