Re: Status of MySQL on 7 w/o patches applied

From: Kris Kennaway <kris_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2007 20:56:50 +0200
Peter Schuller wrote:
> Hello,
>
> a few months ago there were reports of huge MySQL performance
> increases in FreeBSD 7, particularly in terms of scalability. In
> benchmarks, FreeBSD 7 seemed to match or (for the scalability part)
> exceed the performance of Linux.
>
> The report on these indicates some uncommitted patches were used, one
> of which was supposedly very important for performance (file
> descriptor locking IIRC).
>
> My question is - what is the expected status of MySQL performance in
> FreeBSD 7 (without external patches) at this time?
>
> I ask because I recently (a couple of weeks ago) did comparisons using
> sysbench (comparable to what was used in the benchmark used previously
> in the report) between 6.2 and 7-CURRENT. Selects were actually half
> as fast or less than 6.2 in this particular case (identical hardware).
>
> Now I realize I am not providing details here; I can most definitely
> provide a lot more detail. But first, is this *expected*? Are there
> patches that still have not been committed, or should we be expecting
> that FreeBSD 7 as it appears in CVS is comparable to Linux or better
> with MySQL?
>
> I will endeavor to re-run these comparisons with RELENG_7 within the
> near future (regardless of the answer to the above question).

The most important patches for mysql performance were committed.  select
locking patches were not yet committed but the code is identical to 6.x
(and these only have a 5-10% effect on performance).  Make sure you
turned off debugging (userland and kernel) since it was on by default at
the time and will greatly effect performance, or just update to RELENG_7
that now has it disabled.

Kris