Re: Status of MySQL on 7 w/o patches applied

From: Ivan Voras <ivoras_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2007 00:46:21 +0200
Peter Schuller wrote:
>> I will endeavor to re-run these comparisons with RELENG_7 within the
>> near future (regardless of the answer to the above question).
>
> So to follow-up, with RELENG_7 the performance is now significantly
> better than 6.2 for me too. I guess it was the debugging options in
> userland. If someone wants details anyway I'll provide them, but since
> it is no longer that interesting I'm leaving it as is if no one speaks
> up.

It's always interesting to get "third party" confirmations on such
benchmarks so please post them :)

> I knew about it and wanted to turn it off, but I was under the
> impression it was enabled by malloc.conf, which was non-existent,
> rather than at compile time. Also the phrasing in the recommentation
> to turn things off was such that it did not necessarily imply that
> malloc debugging was actually turned on. Or I believed so anyway in my
> possibly dream state.

The rule of thumb is that every -CURRENT has a bunch of debugging stuff
scattered around the code, but every RELENG_x has them all turned off.
Yes, they should be documented, and I've started something in that
direction here: http://wiki.freebsd.org/DefaultDebuggingKnobs .