Re: twa driver needs updating

From: Daniel O'Connor <doconnor_at_gsoft.com.au>
Date: Sat, 20 Oct 2007 18:26:12 +0930
On Sat, 20 Oct 2007, ECEG / Daniel Duerr wrote:
> I should note that these systems are all (a) floppy drive free and
> (b) standard IDE/ATA hard drive free (e.g.: booting from RAID) so
> everything I do has to be done with .iso -> CD-R burns or a usb flash
> drive.  If I'd been doing things with a floppy scenario it would
> likely have been easier...

Hmm, well sysinstall could be modified to load KLDs from arbitary
devices, I have a PR to load install.cfg from any disk sysinstall sees
(eg floppy, CDROM, DOS disk [ie flash drive]).

I did write the original sysinstall patch for loading KLDs in sysinstall
so I guess I'm well equipped to update it ;)

> In the end, the way I built an install CD was I used a Windows-only
> piece of software called UltraISO which allows you to edit .iso
> images and add/remove files.  I dropped the precompiled .ko driver
> into /boot/kernel/ on the downloadable Freebsd boot iso and then
> burned a custom boot CD with the right drivers on it.  When I boot
> from that CD, I load the driver and then continue with the
> installation.  It all works well from there.

That works for drivers that are not already present in the kernel but I
believe it doesn't for ones that are already present (eg twa for a
9650SE..)

I haven't actually tried this so I'm not sure - I'd like to be wrong ;)

are so many of them to choose from."
  -- Andrew Tanenbaum