Re: kernel panic

From: pluknet <pluknet_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2007 15:13:22 +0400
Hi.

On 25/10/2007, syle ishere <syleishere_at_hotmail.com> wrote:

> Cvs checkout of Releng_7 tag, did usual make buildworld kernel etc,
> all was fine even kernel until I did make installworld.
>
> The issue was /boot/loader was replaced and caused a panic. I was able to get back into the system with booting /boot/loader.old with new kernel and all.....here are the messages:
>
> Can't work out which disk we are booting from.Guessed BIOS device 0xffffffff not found by probes, defaulting to disk0:
>
> panic: free: guard1 fail _at_ 0x6e104 from /usr/src/sys/boot/i386/loader/../../common/module.c:959--> Press a key on the console to reboot <--
>
> THis is on a toshiba satellite laptop.
>
> Dan.

You are not alone.

I observe the same behavior on a Dell Inspiron 510m laptop with
CURRENT on it with the same messages. AFAIK it was introduced with
this commit:
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/cvs-src/2007-May/079011.html
(well, actually I have had a broken loader since Jul 5 only (and
later), but I think it is related).

I have an old working loader from May 11. So as workaround I need to
substitute loader.old
every time after installworld to update world (and to boot then) successfully.

wbr,
pluknet