Re: 7.0-BETA1.5 ISO/ftp

From: Erik Trulsson <ertr1013_at_student.uu.se>
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2007 00:30:34 +0200
On Thu, Oct 25, 2007 at 06:07:36PM -0400, Aryeh M. Friedman wrote:

> > except for those of us who mirror the cvs tree.
> >

> My understanding is local mirrors are discouraged unless you have a
> large local install base

I have never heard any such thing.  Using cvsup to update a local copy of
the repository should not be significantly more resource demanding (on
either server or client) than using it to maintain a checked out tree.

It should actually *reduce* load on the freebsd.org servers since I can do
things like checking the commit history of a file, or comparing arbitrary
revisions of files, locally without having to contact any freebsd.org
servers.  I do such things fairly often, and I guess most of the FreeBSD
developers also do it.

It also makes it *much* easier to maintain local modifications to the source
tree, without any risk that they will be overwritten when I update the
source.

--
<Insert your favourite quote here.>
Erik Trulsson