Re: New-bus unit wiring via hints..

From: John-Mark Gurney <gurney_j_at_resnet.uoregon.edu>
Date: Sat, 27 Oct 2007 10:42:05 -0700
John Baldwin wrote this message on Mon, Oct 15, 2007 at 15:10 -0400:

> > > Ok, let's try this again.  You said you want a configuration file
> > > separate
> > > from the kernel.  We have one now in the form of /boot/device.hints.
> >
> > I said:
> >   "I would rather see us go in the direction of having the kernel
> > maintain a configuration file."
> >
> > /boot/device.hints is not maintained by the kernel.
>
> Hmm, ok.  So are you thinking of a registry ala Windows to remember previous
> bindings?  /dev/<some uuid-ish thing but longer> (what Windows does) probably
> wouldn't be considered usable by most folks, so you'd have to make aliases,
> but then you are back to how do "wire" the aliases?  And how should the
> kernel figure out which devices are console devices?

Yeh, I know I'm a bit behind in my -current mail but...

I would like to say that this sounds good... I haven't had a chance to
read the patch, but I think I told Warner a long time ago, that if we
did grow support for hinting pci devices and the like, that I would write
a boot -r (Solaris) like function for FreeBSD so that when new hardware
was added, it would not suddenly ruin your configuration by moving your
existing em0 to em1 and the new em card you added is now em0...

I believe that the hints is the correct thing, Marcel never answered how
to ensure ACPI kept sio0 as COM1, and he could always remove the hints
if he feels like it, but the rest of us can keep the hints so we know
where it is...

--
  John-Mark Gurney				Voice: +1 415 225 5579