Re: New-bus unit wiring via hints..

From: Marcel Moolenaar <xcllnt_at_mac.com>
Date: Sat, 27 Oct 2007 12:09:29 -0700
On Oct 27, 2007, at 10:58 AM, John-Mark Gurney wrote:

> Yeh, you're solution was to simply declare that anyone who knows that
> COM1 is at 0x3f8 is wrong, and to use a different, yet again arbitrary
> solution which is which is listed first in ACPI...

Exactly. Anyone who "knows" that COM1 is at 0x3f8 while
the computer right in front of them clearly states that
COM1 is at 0x2f8 is in denial.

> So, if one ACPI implementation puts _UID = 0 at 0x3f8, but lists it
> after _UID = 1 at 0x2f8, that it's fine for sio0 to be _UID = 1?

Yes. sio0 is nothing more than the first serial port found during
enumeration.

> So, why are you continuing to argue about a simple thing that you
> on your
> machines can simply remove the hints?

The ability to wire is good. Implementing it right
is important.

>  What are your technical arguments
> for mandating a different, non-historical, based arbitrary selection?

I'm not mandating anything. I'm merely pointing out how
reality has changed and that it's important to adapt,
adopt and improve...

Where are your technical arguments, putting aside the
mere technically of the statement that you consider
yourself an old fart?

--
Marcel Moolenaar
marcelm_at_juniper.net