Re: New-bus unit wiring via hints..

From: Marcel Moolenaar <xcllnt_at_mac.com>
Date: Sat, 27 Oct 2007 13:57:25 -0700
On Oct 27, 2007, at 12:40 PM, Kevin Oberman wrote:

>> I'm not mandating anything. I'm merely pointing out how
>> reality has changed and that it's important to adapt,
>> adopt and improve...
>
> "Reality has changed"? Yes, it has, at least a bit, but not to the
> point where we want to confuse serial ports.

Are you saying that "we" should accept reality's change
only for as far as it doesn't confuse "us" ???

> If I update my BIOS, the port marked '1' on the back of my system
> should
> not abruptly change from sio0 to sio1.

Agreed.

> In my case, I am only talking to a data logger and not actually
> controlling something, but I should not have to worry about having
> a port
> name change or finding that _UID1 was no longer the same device if I
> move to a new mother board.

That's unrealistic. If you change the underlying hardware
configuration you cannot expect that it doesn't have some
sort of effect on the system. Wiring is about making that
effect as small as possible, not about having FreeBSD do
its own thing with disregard of the hardware.

> (Yes, I had been working with computers for several years
> before then and I suspect many of the others in this discussion had
> been, too.) Please don't break it! Talk about POLA!

I'm very much insensitive to people arguing with nothing
more than how things used to be in the distant past.
It only means they have been standing still for as long
as that and have become inflexible and intolerant.
Having those people use POLA is a joke because it's really
their own POLA that's at stake and given that it's coming
from someone who isn't living in the present, really means
very very little looking forward.

I've argued that hints isn't the right tool to achieve
wiring. Keep the discussion on topic.

--
Marcel Moolenaar
marcelm_at_juniper.net