Re: Clearing out vdevs (can't create new zpool)

From: Pawel Jakub Dawidek <pjd_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2007 08:38:50 +0100
On Sun, Oct 28, 2007 at 04:18:05AM -0700, Peter Losher wrote:
> I have been poking around with our 16-port SATA RAID chassis (in JBOD
> mode) with a fresh RELENG_7 internal build from Saturday.  I only had
> half the disks {da0-7) at first, when I brought over the second set
> (da8-15), I destroyed the existing pool and then tried to create a new
> one with all 16 disks, and encountered this error:
>
> -=-
> # zpool create tank raidz da{0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15}
> cannot create 'tank': one or more vdevs refer to the same device
> -=-

The only time I saw such an error is when I accidentally gave the same
disk name twice, eg.:

	# zpool create tank da0 da1 da0

I don't see you doing the same mistake, so something else has to be
wrong.

> I can create one with the second set of disks (and destroy/create again)
> but somehow I have some old vdevs sitting around which is preventing me
> from using the first set of disks.  How can I clear them out?

Can you show me the output of:

	# zpool status
	# zpool import
	# sysctl -b kern.geom.confxml

If no pool is imported currently, you should be able to create your
pool. If one of the disks is in use already (by something else than
ZFS), the error message should be different...

pjd_at_FreeBSD.org                           http://www.FreeBSD.org