Re: Problem with ATAPI device on JMicron JMB363 on 7.0-BETA1

From: Mark Powell <M.S.Powell_at_salford.ac.uk>
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2007 08:27:44 +0000 (GMT)
On Mon, 29 Oct 2007, Nathan Butcher wrote:

>> Hi,
>> I've tried to install FreeBSD 7.0-BETA1/amd64 on Gigabyte P35-S3 mb >with
>> PATA DVD-RW drive attached to JMicron JMB363 controller.
>
> The JMicron JMB363 controller is *still* broken.

I think the ATA maintainer has been busy recently. However, he was on the
list with a correcting patch within a day, after I reported my last DMA
problem.

> I have a Gigabyte GA-G33-DS3R. FreeBSD 7.0-BETA1 detects the chipset,
> but no devices attached to the SATA controllers find their relative /dev
> entries. My SATA DVD-combo drive simply doesn't get /dev/acd0, and as a
> result I cannot access the drive. I've tried hard drives too, with the
> same results.

I've a Gigabyte GA-P35-DS4 running 7.0-BETA and I'm using all 8 SATA
ports; 6xICH9 (AHCI mode), 2xJMB363 (IDE mode). Plus a PATA DVDROM drive
on the JMB363's IDE port.
   SATA DVD drives are a problem though. On an Intel 975 board I've also
tried which has 4xICH8 and a Marvell controller with 2xSATA, the SATA DVD
drive was never detected on the Marvell. On the ICH8 in AHCI mode, I was
informed by the kernel that SATA DVD drives are not yet supported. So
putting the ICH8 into IDE mode made everything work, except the hard
drives working in SATAI mode instead of SATAII, which they previously did
when it was in AHCI mode.
   Have you tried putting the SATA DVD drive on ICH9 but changing the
controller's mode to IDE, and just keeping the JMB363 for hard drives?
   All this has been the case since I first started using 7 in August.

> The IDE interface seems to work for me (I have an IDE -> CF converter in
> there), but I don't have a PATA optical drive to test.

As I noted above, a PATA DVD drive works fine on the JMB363 PATA port.
   Cheers.

--
Mark Powell - UNIX System Administrator - The University of Salford
Information Services Division, Clifford Whitworth Building,