kldload fails (missing symbols?)

From: Doug Kelly <dougk_at_dougk-ff7.net>
Date: Sun, 2 Sep 2007 13:07:31 -0500
On a updated build of -CURRENT (as of when I ran cvsup on September
1st), I have a strange issue running kldload.  Some modules will
throw an error, claiming they're missing symbols (but they don't say
what symbol).  Here's an example of such output:
machine# kldload zlib
link_elf: symbol  undefined
kldload: can't load zlib: No such file or directory
machine# kldload xfs
link_elf: symbol  undefined
kldload: can't load xfs: No such file or directory
machine# kldload lpt
machine#

As you may notice, the actual symbol which is undefined isn't named--
according to the error.  dmesg only contains the exact same output.
Oddly enough, not all modules are impacted, either--lpt loaded fine,
as do a few other modules.

I did go back to an April snapshot of -CURRENT, and this problem did
not exist (zlib loaded fine), so presumably, something has changed in
the five months since then.  Also, this is a SPARC64 build of
FreeBSD.  If my question would be better directed to that list,
please let me know.

Thanks in advance,

Doug Kelly