emerald seems to crash... and HOW-TO set up beryl

From: Rudy Rucker <crapsh_at_monkeybrains.net>
Date: Mon, 03 Sep 2007 22:16:07 -0700
There are several things that seem to crash emerald.  I use this
'wrapper' to launch emerald and it works great.
Specifically, "System->Preferences->Theme" crashes emerald on my
system.  Several other things cause it to crash as well.
This wrapper will automatically restart emerald for you.

/usr/local/bin/emerald-wrapper
#!/bin/sh

PIDFILE=/tmp/emerald-wrapper.pid

case "$1" in
        start)
                echo $$ > $PIDFILE
                /usr/local/bin/emerald ;
                sleep 4;
                logger "Restarting emerald."
                $0 start &
                ;;
        stop)
                if [ -f $PIDFILE ]; then
                        PID=`cat $PIDFILE`
                        if [ $PID -gt 10 ]; then
                                logger "Killing emerald-wrapper: $PID"
                                kill $PID 2> /dev/null
                                rm $PIDFILE
                        fi
                fi
                killall emerald
                ;;
        *)
                echo ""
                echo "Usage: `basename $0` { start | stop }"
                echo ""
                exit 64
                ;;
esac

Also, it took me a while to figure out how to set up beryl & emerald on my
desktop.  Here is my ~/.xinitrc:
beryl &
/usr/local/bin/emerald-wrapper start &
sleep 2
gnome-session

Replace gnome-session with startxfce4 or whatever it is you use  :)
Also, if emerald doesn't crash for you, then you can replace the
 /usr/local/bin/emerald-wrapper start &
line with simplily
 emerald &

You know emerald has crashed when mid flight, all your windows lose
their frames.

- RUdy