Re: dump problems

From: Danny Braniss <danny_at_cs.huji.ac.il>
Date: Wed, 05 Sep 2007 08:46:30 +0300

> > > When it hangs, what is printed when you send it a CTRL-T?
> > >
> > off the top of my head:
> >
> > ... running ...
> >
> > it seems to be a problem on the writing side, since setting the output
> > to /dev/null actually works.
> >
> > the commands used were:
> >
> > dump 0Lf - /some/file/system | restore rf -
> > this got stuck, so I started experimenting:
> > dump 0Lf file.dump  /some/file/system
> >
> > gets stuck, ^T will mostly return ... [running] ... since at least
> > one of the dump process is running, but my guess it's just monitoring.
> > I also tried without the L flag, but did not change the result.
> > the only dump that finishes, is when the output is /dev/null.
>
> Try again with the 'a' flag. dump(8) still assumes that it writes
> to a set of tapes, and if the writing stalls for some reason (restore(8)
> being slow or somesuch), dump may ask to switch tapes. Since all this
> is of course bogus now, use 'a' to disable all those tape size
> calculation heuristics, as in
>
> # dump 0Luaf - /some/file/system | restore rf -
true, but
	1- if output is stdout it does not do any tape size calculations
	2- it does not differentiate between 'regular file' and 'special file'
	   and thus will stop requesting for another tape.
so, yes, i forgot to say that i did use the -a flag, but i did say it's stuck,
not that it's waiting for any tape change.

so, sorry, no cookies yet :-)

danny