AIC9410 support

From: Aristedes Maniatis <ari_at_ish.com.au>
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2007 20:49:57 +1000
I've been able to locate some old posts about the Adaptec AIC9410
chipset. I've acquired one of these in a new server:

http://www.supermicro.com/products/system/4U/7045/SYS-7045B-3.cfm?
PID=TWR

We are looking to set up 2 SATA drives in a mirrored pair and started
with trying to get it to work under FreeBSD 6. When I couldn't get it
to detect the driver I then tried the most recent August CURRENT
snapshot. It does not appear to recognise the drives either as a RAID
set or separately when booting from the FreeBSD current CD.

The only historical references I could find were:

http://www.mail-archive.com/freebsd-stable_at_freebsd.org/msg79964.html

where a year ago Scott Long suggests that it might work in HostRAID
mode but not in standalone mode. I've Googled extensively and
couldn't find a description of how HostRAID mode is different to full
'regular' RAID. It appears to be some sort of RAID where the system
CPU does more of the work, but I'm not sure.

My questions:

* is the AIC9410 supported in any version of FreeBSD, whether I am
using the Adaptec HostRAID or just mounting the drives individually?

* does raidutil (part of ports/systutils/asr-utils) usable with this
chipset?

Cheers
Ari Maniatis

ish
http://www.ish.com.au
phone +61 2 9550 5001   fax +61 2 9550 4001